Synchronizing with Nextcloud

Questions regarding NixNote usage.

Synchronizing with Nextcloud

Postby aproposnix » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:05 am

I recently decided to stop synchronizing my notes with the Evernote servers (as much as I love EN as a service, I have no faith in the company to protect my privacy). Since I can create databases in Nixnote without an account I decided to experiment a little. What I did was move the '.nixnote' folder to my Nextcloud folder which is synced with my nextcloud server and then created a symbolic link in my home directory (the original location). Once I did that, on each of my computers I deleted the existing '.nixnote' folder and created the symbolic link to the folder (again, located in the nextcloud folder). I seems to work.

My question is, will this cause any issues? I am only 1 person and I'll never be on multiple instances. Is there something I should be aware of that could corrupt the DB's?

For what it's worth, it would be really cool if the Nixnote developer/s added support for webdav storage.

Site Admin

Re: Synchronizing with Nextcloud

Postby baumgarr » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:02 pm

Other people have done this, but I never have so I can't say what problems you may encounter.

Nextcloud won't happen any time soon. I could be mistaken, but I think someone asked for it a while ago. When I investigated it, it looked like a pretty serious amount of work to implement.

I have experimented with setting up a private server piece where multiple NN clients can synchronize, but it isn't ready for general use.

Return to “General Questions”